Tampa group collecting signatures to support referendum against panhandling
- by December 27th:
- A citizen initiative is underway to put the issue of panhandling and soliciting in Tampa city limits to the voters in the March election. In order to be included on the ballot, 18,000 signed petitions must be delivered to the Supervisor of Elections by December 27, 2010. Signing and delivering a petition is not a vote for or against a ban of panhandling or solicitation in Tampa; it is simplya petition initiative to place the measure on ballot so Tampa voters can decide the issue.
Here is a link to the petition. Following are instructions for completing and submitting the petition.
Only City of Tampa registered voters can sign and submit a petition.
The petition is two pages long but it must be printed on a single sheet of paper front and back.
Fill out name, address, zip code, voter registration number or date of birth; sign and date the back and have a witness sign.
Completed forms can be dropped off or mailed to the Westshore Alliance, 3109 W. Dr. MLK Blvd., Suite 140, Tampa, FL 33607 by the close of business on December 26.
Only original forms will be counted; e-mail or fax copies cannot be used.
If you intend to distribute copies of the petition to employees of your company, we suggest that your employees complete the petition on forms that you provide and return them to you in advance of the Dec. 26th date.
The Alliance has heard from many member companies and individuals that something must be done to curb the proliferation of solicitors and panhandlers on traffic medians and road rights of way. If you and others in your organization are in agreement, this is your opportunity to take a step to address this issue.
- 12/17/10, Tampa City Council members cited high unemployment and costs of enforcing a ban.
- 6/8/10, "Banned in St. Pete, panhandling on upswing in Tampa," My Fox Tampa Bay
- panhandler above in St. Pete after ordinance was approved, 6/14/10, St. Pete Times
- Tampa panhandler top photo from My Tampa Bay Fox, 6/8/10